close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click Here to view current weather conditions in Newton Utah.

Culinary Water & Utilities

What should I do if I see a water leak?
If a water main breaks or you notice a drastic drop in water pressure, please call our Water Department supervisor, Jed Woodward, at 435-770-9339 or Mayor Kevin Rhodes at 435-563-9283 to report it.
How do I sign up or transfer water billing to my name?
Newton Town provides culinary water to residents within Newton Town boundaries. Garbage and recycling services are contracted with Logan and billing is included with your water bill. If you are a homeowner, you must fill out this form and bring it to the Newton Town office during business hours.


How do I get a business license in Newton Town?
If you are opening a business in town or running a business from your home, you will need to obtain a business license from Newton Town.  In some cases, a conditional use permit will also need to be obtained from the Newton Planning Commission.
Please click here for the application for a business license. Once you've filled it out, please bring it to the Newton Town office.  All license requests are reviewed for approval.  Licenses must be renewed annually.  The business license fee is $25.

Building Permits

Do I need a permit for a fence?
No, but the fence can't be higher than six feet. And if you're on a corner lot, it can't obstruct the view of the intersecting streets. The fence must be located on your property.
Do I need a permit for a storage shed?
As long as the square footage of the shed is under 200 sq. ft you won't need a building permit. However, if you plan to run any utilities to the shed, regardless of size, you will need a permit. When planning where to put the shed on your property, if it is 50 feet back from your front property line, than it can be one foot off the side or back property line. Also, it must be 10 feet from the dwelling. Contact any member of the Newton Planning Commission to verify your setbacks.
Do I need a permit to finish my basement?
Only if additional plumbing, electrical or heating/cooling work will be done. If the basement has already been "roughed" in with those items, a building permit is not required.
Do I need a permit to remodel my house?
Same conditions as the basement apply. However, if you are doing any type of structural addition or modification, you will need a permit.
How do I get a building permit?

Procedure for Newton Town Building Permit Application

The first step is to complete the building permit application found here.

    • Complete the building permit application
    • Submit completed application with site plan showing building, property lines and setbacks to a Planning Commission member for approval:
      • Martin Empey - (801) 918-6232
    • After setback approval submit to the Newton Town Building Inspector (contracted with Hyde Park City):
      • Completed application
      • two sets of building plans drawn to scale, including: exterior elevations, floor plans, foundation plan, framing detail, cross-section, stair detail, electrical plan, and plumbing/heating plan. For home construction; a model energy code analysis.
      • site plan showing building, property lines and set backs
      • proof of ownership or county plat map
      • notarized owner/builder form if applicable
    • Submit application and plans to:

    Hyde Park City Offices, 113 East Center, Hyde Park, UT Or at:

    • Darrin Hancey (435) 563-6507 ext. 13
    • Ed Price (435) 563-6507 ext. 19
    • Call to schedule inspections at (435) 563-6507 ext. 25 
    • After approval from the building inspector and setback approval, please make an appointment and submit completed application, supporting documentation, and fees to the town clerk –  Karla Ferguson (435)563-9283 (Town Hall) , (435)563-0165 (home) or email at

 Also required for New Home Construction

  • Bear River Environmental Health Dept. septic tank approval. Go to for instructions and application.
  • Proof of a Newton Secondary water share.
  • $2,200 water meter connection fee
  • $1,500 water impact fee
How do I schedule a building permit inspection?
To schedule an inspection call Hyde Park City at (435)563-6507 ext. 25

Park Pavilion & Building Classroom Rental

How do I make a reservation?
Please contact the Newton Town office during business hours to make a reservation? You can check for  availability on our town calendar.

Dog License

Do I need to license my dog?
Any dog six months or older is required to be licensed yearly with Newton Town. All dogs that live in Newton (regardless of ownership) are required to be licensed even if they stay inside your home or never leave your yard. Proof of rabies vaccination is required. All dogs must be licensed beginning January 1 to  March 31. After this date license fees double. Owners may be issued a citation for failure to have his/her dog properly licensed. Three or more dogs require a conditional use permit and kennel license.

Newton Cemetery

Where can I find information about the Newton Cemetery?
The Newton Cemetery is located about a mile north of Newton Town. The Newton Cemetery is managed by its own special district and not Newton Town. For information about the cemetery, please contact Newton Cemetery secretary, Penny Douglass, at (435)563-3916.


When is the library open?
Library Hours:
Monday - 3 to 7 pm
Tuesday - 10 am to 1 pm & 3 to 6 pm
Wednesday - 3 to 6 pm
Thursday- 10 am to 1 pm & 3 to 6 pm, 
Story Hour on Thursday at 10:30 am
Saturday - 12 to 4 pm
Closed Friday and Sunday


Newton Public Library facebook page
Newton Public Library website